Newport Harbor High School (NHHS), founded in 1930, is proud of its rich tradition as an outstanding school, confirmed by its designations as a California Distinguished School, a National Blue Ribbon School, and currently as an International Baccalaureate School. Many NHHS graduates continue to reside in the area and watch as their children, grandchildren, and even great-grandchildren graduate.
Newport Harbor High School educators and administrators are committed to providing an outstanding instructional program to all students. Through a variety of innovative and specialized programs, faculty and staff ensure that each student is provided opportunities to reach his or her full potential. Through a process of shared decision-making, the faculty and staff at Newport Harbor High work closely to create a dynamic and challenging school environment that engages the entire Newport Harbor school community.
Our Mission and Vision and Beliefs statements have been developed collaboratively, as have our ESLRs. All reflect the Newport Harbor High School shareholder’s view of our educational priorities and goals. They are posted throughout our school as a reminder to all of our purpose and priorities.
Newport Harbor High School Vision
Our school’s focus lies within these 3 goals:
- Maximize Student Learning
- Maintain a Positive Learning Environment
- Effectively Communicate with Stakeholders
Newport Harbor High School is a Professional Learning Community. Our faculty and school community work together as a Professional Learning Community focused on the following questions:
- What do we want students to know?
- How will we know if they have learned it?
- What will we do if they don’t learn?
- How will we further challenge those who do learn?
Newport Harbor High School Mission
Newport Harbor High School will provide the opportunity for all students to become productive, successful members of society by challenging each to excel in academics, explore personal interests and develop his or her potential.
Newport Harbor High School Core Belief
We believe all students can learn with appropriate instruction and intervention.
Newport Harbor High School Expected Schoolwide Learning Results
- Meaningful Integration of Core Knowledge: A demonstrated ability to apply the basic skills of reading, writing and arithmetic to the development of intellectual, artistic, and physical works.
- Effective Communication and Interpretation: A demonstrated proficiency in verbal and written communication.
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving: A demonstrated ability to deal with complex academic and applied problems logically.
- Creative Expression and Artistic Appreciation: A demonstrated ability to create an artistic output or performance.
- Local, National, and Global Awareness: A demonstrated awareness, understanding, and appreciation of national and international issues and the role of a responsible citizen in our democratic government.
- Personal and Social Development: A demonstrated ability to effectively manage real-life situations in day-to-day living and participate in.